SampleCat is a program for cataloguing and auditioning audio samples.
SampleCat is available under the GNU General Public License and runs mainly on GNU/Linux systems. It is written in C and uses the GTK graphics library. MySql and Sqlite can be used for the database.
Currently, essential functionality is all working, and the application is slowly being polished to bring it to a v1.0 release.
20121212: The Inspector layout has been tidied up. The EBUR display format had to be changed to accommodate this so you will have to Refresh samples for them to display correctly.
20120426: Version 0.2.3. Added new tarball. This should be used in preference to the github source for the time being. This version is mostly the work of Robin Gareus. Many thanks to him. A script is available to migrate an existing config file.
20111108: Version 0.1.2. Bugfix related to the notes editor.
Many thanks to people for pointing out some problems with the 0.1.2 tarball. It has now been modified.
20110303: Version 0.1.1.
Added support for the Ayyi Auditioner service and deprecated local audio playback. The main immediate advantage of this is resampling.
Added 'Play All' menu item.
Auditioning of filemanager items is now possible.
Added "Add dir to database" menu item to FileManager directory tree.
20100610: Version 0.1.0. Added spectrogram display using the code from libsndfile. Added peak_level property to backends and Inspector.
20100421: Version 0.0.9. Still incomplete Tracker backend updated to use the Tracker 0.9 API. Bugfixes. Thanks to Philipp.
- catalogues 'offline' (eg cdrom), as well as 'online' sample files.
- supported filetypes are wav, flac, aiff, sd2, etc, via libsndfile.
- metadata stored: filename, path, samplerate, channels, mimetype, peak level, and a small waveform overview.
- freeform tagging.
- browsing is done by directory, and filtering is on name, path or tag.
- spectrogram display.
- auditioning of samples is possible via JACK.
- samples can be renamed, moved and copied to other directories.
- download source (or use the gentoo ebuild, or arch package)
- untar, configure, make, make install.
- dependencies: ayyi_auditioner, gtk+2.4, jack, libsndfile, dbus.
- optional dependencies: mysqlclient, sqlite, tracker-0.9, fftw, gtkglext.
- import files or directories using drag and drop.
- if a file is currently mounted, an icon will be shown in the main table. Select Update on the context menu to refresh its status.
- set tags by 1) selecting Edit Tags on the context menu, 2) double clicking the tag area, 3) enter text in the Edit box at the top of the window and hit the "Set Category" button.
- to move a file in the filesystem, drag it from the main list to a directory in the directory tree on the left.
- to rename a file in the filesystem, select it, then click on the name.
- auditioning is started by clicking in the waveform view. Jack ports are not created until auditioning is started for the first time. Once a sample has been loaded into the Auditioner it can be triggered via MIDI at different pitches.
- import files into your audio editor using dragndrop.
- apply colour coding by dragging from the colour bar. Right click on the colour bar to change the colour palette.
- currently, auditioning is stereo only. Files with more than 2 channels cannot be auditioned.